Saturday, July 16, 2011

One purple Clematis was planted beneath the bird feeder the idea being that as it grew it would create a soft buffer for the birds that come to feed.

The Clematis had one purple flower, but I could already visualize the many blooms and leaves that would wind their way up the pole.

Everyday I noted the progress of the little plant. Not much was happening above the ground but I knew that the roots were taking hold in the rich soil.

Then Tuesday morning, I arose early and lifted the shade on the window to the backyard. It was dim, pre-dawn light and I could not see the complete plant. The sun shed light on the plant in short order and I was shocked not to see any purple on the stalk. I could see purple on the lawn, where one lonely and sad petal from the one Clematis bloom lay forlornly.

Stupid rabbit. I'm glad I saw him later, in pieces, on the road (and no, I didn't hit him myself).

And that's what I think about it.

No comments: