Saturday, July 23, 2011

Several things come to mind as I ponder what I might have enjoyed doing with my life.

It might have been fun to have been the General Manager of a Lowe's or a Home Depot. As it is I walk down the aisle of one of these mega-stores with little clue of the practical value or use of 98% of the stock. If I were manager, I would know how to do stuff, and what thingies to use to fix the whatchamacallits that are broken. Bringing it to a practical level, I would not, right now, have loose shingles on the roof or a dripping faucet in the bathroom.

Except for the adults and the children underfoot, I would have enjoyed being a librarian. Surrounded by books all neatly lined up on the shelf in some sort of systematized order I would spend my days in blissful travel, solving mysteries or desperately trying to get the right woman with the right man. If someone came in to borrow a book I would let them have one, just one for overnight, and perhaps, if that one were returned a day later clean and with not dog-eared pages or pencil page markers, might allow them two books for two days and so on and so on.

It might have been fun to have been a scuba instructor because the ocean is one of our last frontiers of unknowing. Being the instructor would almost certainly reflect my ability to swim, something that I cannot do now and not be afraid of water, another thing I am most definitely.

When I was in junior high school I thought I would become a Forest Ranger. What appealed to me was being out in the woods and being my own boss, so to speak. Perhaps saving the community from forest fires entered into this choice but I don't think it was in the top ten reasons.

In real life I decided to become a teacher. I picked the one area with the most freedom within the school system, physical education, but it did not take long for me to discover that the constrictions within this closed system was inconsistent with my personality. I wish there had been some sort of personality test to weed me out of the educational arena before my four college years were over and I accepted a job as one...teacher, that is.

I real life, now that I look back at what I did work at and enjoy, I think my choices finally ended up being wise...or at least safe for other people although some might wonder if it had ever been wise to give me a license to 'do' social work on other people.

No regrets....okay a few....and a few more....but water under the bridge as they say....no one really got hurt.

And that's what I think about it.

No comments: