Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder is the story of the quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, 'A Man Who Would Cure the World.'
Originally I picked up the book because Haiti was the setting. Haiti is a country that I have visited a few times and have grown to love the people of this island nation.
Paul Farmer loves the Haitians also but unlike me, Dr. Farmer had the education, means and intense passion to make a difference for those in the central highlands of Haiti. He eradicated tuberculosis! And reduced the incidence of AIDS.
And then took on Cuba, Peru and Russia and the infectious diseases that were plaguing them.
A summary on the back of the book says it all, "In medical school, Paul Farmer found his life's calling to cure infectious diseases and to bring the lifesaving tools of modern medicine to those who need them most....shows how one person can make a difference in solving global health problems through a clear-eyed understanding of the interaction of politics, wealth, social systems, and disease....Profound and powerful...the only real nation is humanity."
If you read the book, let me know what you think. That's what I think.
Originally I picked up the book because Haiti was the setting. Haiti is a country that I have visited a few times and have grown to love the people of this island nation.
Paul Farmer loves the Haitians also but unlike me, Dr. Farmer had the education, means and intense passion to make a difference for those in the central highlands of Haiti. He eradicated tuberculosis! And reduced the incidence of AIDS.
And then took on Cuba, Peru and Russia and the infectious diseases that were plaguing them.
A summary on the back of the book says it all, "In medical school, Paul Farmer found his life's calling to cure infectious diseases and to bring the lifesaving tools of modern medicine to those who need them most....shows how one person can make a difference in solving global health problems through a clear-eyed understanding of the interaction of politics, wealth, social systems, and disease....Profound and powerful...the only real nation is humanity."
If you read the book, let me know what you think. That's what I think.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment