Saturday, October 10, 2009

Amazing technology allows me to sit in my home, seven hours away, and watch my grand daughter play college soccer. The game comes through some sort of 'live feed' with a student from the college's media department doing the commentary.

Last week I watched a match-up with a school that has been a rival since I was a student.

The men's game was first and went into a double overtime before the "good guys" won.

I had settled in for the women's game. Part way through the first half, no score and both teams playing hard with two yellow cards given, the announcer appeared on the screen (he had been commentating from the bleachers) and gave a several minute interview with one of the male players from the first game. Camera tight on their faces, I could not see the game on the field.

I could hear the fans react to what was happening in the game and every so often the commentator's eyes would shift over to the action, but he was able to resist any play-by-play to continue the interview.

Into the second half where we were ahead by one goal, the commentator had a second interview with the men's goalie, camera tight on their faces, no mention or sight of the game on the field.

When the camera finally cut back to the field, it was only three or four minutes before the screen went blank...and stayed blank...and was blank for ever after.

This morning I read on the college web site that the women also had won their match. I would have liked to have seen that.

And yes, I did send a message through Facebook regarding this and telling them what I think of that. And that's it, what I think about that.

No comments: