Monday, January 31, 2011

The United States Postal Service is receiving less and less of my business since the advent of Facebook and the ability to text and send photos from my phone.

What this means is that I am now the proud owner of a growing collection of return address labels, none of which I purchased. These have all been sent to me gratis, in the hopes of my returning a donation for the little gift. So far the gift givers have received no remuneration from me.

The veterans have sent address labels sporting flags, Mt. Rushmore, sailboats, eagles and multi-colored stars.

Guideposts has sent butterflies, hummingbirds, watering cans and bird feeders. Another religious organization has sent crosses and lilies.

One Alma Mater has sent labels with the school logo and St. Jude's has sent snowmen, by far the cutest of the holiday labels.

Another veteran's group has sent flowers and butterflies, also flags and book labels. More flowers from a medical group, by which I mean a disease foundation raising money. Pink flowers and ribbons from you-know-who and crosses, crowns and doves from the American Bible Society.

Because I have the time for this I have counted my stash of return address labels. They total way over 600.

So let's figure. I average about three cards a year to friends in Ohio, one bill a month, one birthday card to the son-in-law a year and quarterly support envelope, perhaps a couple of medical bills a year, a dental bill or two so all-in-all about 24 envelopes which require a return address label.

Simple math allows that I will use up my stash of labels by the year 2040. During that year I will turn....wait a minute, I'll be dead.

And this is all assuming that I receive no additional labels.

People horde a lot of things. Apparently I horde return address labels. But no more. I am about to toss out sailboats, butterflies and flowers. I'll still be good until 2020 when I will turn....well, I'll do the math on that later.

And that's what I think about it.

No comments: