Saturday, October 30, 2010

How do you explain to a teen that happiness is not a God-given right but is something that one chooses regardless of the situation in which she finds herself?

Heck, how do you explain that to an adult?

How often do we hear, "I'm just not happy," followed by a list of things that would make the situation tolerable and, yes, happy.

Almost always the list is filled with actions that others need to take on behalf of the unhappy one to right all the wrongs in her life.

Commentators have long written and spoken about the entitlement syndrome prevalent in this country, and perhaps other countries as well, but every single time I hear it, I start to seethe inside.

When does the age-old adage that parents often remind kids about, "Life is not fair," or "I'm not here to make you happy," sink in?

Unfortunately in some cases it never does and the ensuring generations are raised with the same 'poor me' and 'you owe me' attitudes.

Well buck up. From time immemorial life has been this way. As long as there is more than one person alive on the planet it will be this way.

Deal with it. Decide to be happy. And that's what I think about it.

No comments: