Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Know what's frustrating? Lying. People who lie. People who think I'm stupid and believe whatever they say. People who have to remember two stories, the truth and the lie. People who try to look good by lying. People who try to weasel out of something by lying. People who never learned the value of truth. People who teach their children to lie for them. Kids who lie rather than work at school. Teens who lie rather than put a little effort into life. Adults who lie to investors. Politicians who lie to get votes. People who lie to sell a car. Those who lie about a product.

Cesare Pavese wrote, "The art of living is the art of knowing how to believe lies. "

I think he was full of it, but then I wonder if there may be a part of every human being that wants desperately to believe one lie or another. Tremendous delusion and more await the person who trains herself to believe lies. Perhaps this person can delude herself to the very end and never, until that last breath, realize the deception that has been part of her life.

What a sad state of affairs we find ourselves in. So sad in fact that the truth is suspect when it is presented to us. We are so used to believing falsehoods and perpetuating them that we cannot distinguish fact from fiction. Again, a sad state of affairs.

And that's what I think about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post...but then again, how do you know if I'm telling the truth about what I thought. ;)