Sunday, September 5, 2010
I've been pondering deep issues of life. Really, seriously. Not like some of my posts but really thoughtful stuff, perhaps stuff that has no real answers, just opinions for and against and about which one can be neutral but not for long I think before some issue or event sparks life and action.
I wonder how some people can at times or for long periods of time spend their lives in blissful pursuit of escape-artistry that calls itself happiness, or success, or self-fulfillment, or self-actualization (a special kind of purpose I studied in graduate school) without a thought or care about anyone else. Oh sometimes there are kids to think about and spouses, but even these seem secondary to achieving self-serving goals of either climbing higher or deeper until one reaches some sort of perfection. This becomes a life goal, a singular pursuit that blots out the world and its cares.
Often the world does not have much to offer that a person values and blotting it out seems like a sane pathway.
I suppose it gets to the purpose of life and what we believe is the goal of our time on earth.
For one, earth and what we know and can touch and see is the only reality and 'getting out' unscathed as possible is the goal. Becoming a hermit or an introvert makes sense. Just leave them alone and let them grow inwardly and upwardly to meet their own high potential. No one benefits from their growth because it is personal and private and exclusive. Let them succeed and have the resources to purchase and barter. Let them have bigger and newer toys; they have succeeded.
For others, there seems to be some inner tug to make this chaotic world a little less chaotic, a little more palatable, a little better for others, even one 'other.' These folks forge ahead into the fray and do what they can. Sometimes they succeed; sometimes they fail.
These two dichotomous folks inhabit the planet and I believe that each of us has a little of one and a lot of the other inside. These two sides war against each other for dominance in our life.
For me, I guess, the question is, who will care that I have spent time on this planet? Who is better, happier, kinder, wiser because I have crossed their path? What legacy am I writing each day as I walk around in the chaos which can not be escaped?
No answers here. I was just thinking.
I wonder how some people can at times or for long periods of time spend their lives in blissful pursuit of escape-artistry that calls itself happiness, or success, or self-fulfillment, or self-actualization (a special kind of purpose I studied in graduate school) without a thought or care about anyone else. Oh sometimes there are kids to think about and spouses, but even these seem secondary to achieving self-serving goals of either climbing higher or deeper until one reaches some sort of perfection. This becomes a life goal, a singular pursuit that blots out the world and its cares.
Often the world does not have much to offer that a person values and blotting it out seems like a sane pathway.
I suppose it gets to the purpose of life and what we believe is the goal of our time on earth.
For one, earth and what we know and can touch and see is the only reality and 'getting out' unscathed as possible is the goal. Becoming a hermit or an introvert makes sense. Just leave them alone and let them grow inwardly and upwardly to meet their own high potential. No one benefits from their growth because it is personal and private and exclusive. Let them succeed and have the resources to purchase and barter. Let them have bigger and newer toys; they have succeeded.
For others, there seems to be some inner tug to make this chaotic world a little less chaotic, a little more palatable, a little better for others, even one 'other.' These folks forge ahead into the fray and do what they can. Sometimes they succeed; sometimes they fail.
These two dichotomous folks inhabit the planet and I believe that each of us has a little of one and a lot of the other inside. These two sides war against each other for dominance in our life.
For me, I guess, the question is, who will care that I have spent time on this planet? Who is better, happier, kinder, wiser because I have crossed their path? What legacy am I writing each day as I walk around in the chaos which can not be escaped?
No answers here. I was just thinking.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You know, while processing my thoughts after a funeral, I once posed this question to my current boss. I wondered what part of me would be ulogized (sorry if misspelled!!) at my funeral, if anything. Would I leave a legacy that would be lasting, or soon forgotten after my departure? And even though I was not looking for a celebration of such proportions that it would make the gossip columns, I wondered what my total impact would be on those around me. My boss simply answered that perhaps it would be best to be considered a "Godly" woman, and to someday hear "Well done, good & faithful servant" from our Saviour. Honestly, some days I can live with that answer, and some days...I still wonder.
I think living for a legacy might be the height of human pride, and need for human approval. "I want to be remembered...I want to be remembered for being such a good person."
Even most legacy's fade after a generation, or two at the most...maybe what we should aim for is serving in obscurity. "Your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."
Hard words to live by though I guess.
Legacies can live for generations. Sometimes they take on a life of their own. Other times they may influence a succeeding generation even though the two have never met. I don't think we consciously plan a legacy, unless perhaps it is one based on finances. I think legacies are based on character and integrity, or lack thereof, that follow families down through the generations. A true legacy cannot be planned or purposed because it is inherent in the DNA of a person. It just IS! And that's what I think about it.
Post a Comment