Thursday, February 4, 2010
Good News from Haiti
Received the best news from Haiti today.
John, Carmen and Bella are in Miami. For background on this please see post from July 23, 2008.
For nearly two years this lovely couple has been attempting to finalize Bella's adoption. I can't even begin to list the red tape, delays, frustrations and incongruity that they have been through...for nearly two years.
And then the earthquake.
Our little family of three made their way by bus, along with 45 orphans and a few adults, from the north of the island ten hours down to the capital and then to the U.S. Consulate, papers in hand...papers that had been added to and refiled over and over during the past months. For five days they lived on MREs, slept on mattresses at the consulate, finger-printed yet again, waiting for signed papers for Bella's Visa and for promised transport to the United States.
And this morning, at 1 AM the little family of three was loaded on a C-17 transport plane, Carmen in a jump seat holding Bella; John buckled somehow to the floor.
I would not be surprised that when they landed they could hear both the collective sighs of relief from thousands of supporters around the world and the cheers of celebration and thanksgiving that finally, finally, in the midst of the horrific suffering of Haiti, such good news.
And that's what I am thinking about. I'll post a photo when they visit southern Indiana.
John, Carmen and Bella are in Miami. For background on this please see post from July 23, 2008.
For nearly two years this lovely couple has been attempting to finalize Bella's adoption. I can't even begin to list the red tape, delays, frustrations and incongruity that they have been through...for nearly two years.
And then the earthquake.
Our little family of three made their way by bus, along with 45 orphans and a few adults, from the north of the island ten hours down to the capital and then to the U.S. Consulate, papers in hand...papers that had been added to and refiled over and over during the past months. For five days they lived on MREs, slept on mattresses at the consulate, finger-printed yet again, waiting for signed papers for Bella's Visa and for promised transport to the United States.
And this morning, at 1 AM the little family of three was loaded on a C-17 transport plane, Carmen in a jump seat holding Bella; John buckled somehow to the floor.
I would not be surprised that when they landed they could hear both the collective sighs of relief from thousands of supporters around the world and the cheers of celebration and thanksgiving that finally, finally, in the midst of the horrific suffering of Haiti, such good news.
And that's what I am thinking about. I'll post a photo when they visit southern Indiana.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment