Sunday, January 24, 2010
Why do we buy things? What do advertising companies know about human beings that assists in selling products.
I think they know that is this culture we are fearful and guilt-ridden.
We experience the fear of getting old; fear of being unprepared; fear of looking poor; fear of looking weak; fear of being left behind; fear of the unknown; fear of needing someone; fear of the car breaking down; fear of - you fill in the blank.
Guilt for being healthy; guilt that there are abused children; guilt about abandoned animals while we have only one cat; guilt for the hungry of the world while I have a refrigerator and a pantry full of food (and a cat held in reserve); guilt that when we get sick we can receive the newest, strongest prescriptions from my physician; guilt for - you fill in the blank.
And so on and so forth.
The ad companies are playing on our sympathies and insecurities. Successfully it seems, if their bottom lines are any indication.
I am tired of their trying to make me afraid and tired of their trying to make me feel guilty. And that's what I think about it.
I think they know that is this culture we are fearful and guilt-ridden.
We experience the fear of getting old; fear of being unprepared; fear of looking poor; fear of looking weak; fear of being left behind; fear of the unknown; fear of needing someone; fear of the car breaking down; fear of - you fill in the blank.
Guilt for being healthy; guilt that there are abused children; guilt about abandoned animals while we have only one cat; guilt for the hungry of the world while I have a refrigerator and a pantry full of food (and a cat held in reserve); guilt that when we get sick we can receive the newest, strongest prescriptions from my physician; guilt for - you fill in the blank.
And so on and so forth.
The ad companies are playing on our sympathies and insecurities. Successfully it seems, if their bottom lines are any indication.
I am tired of their trying to make me afraid and tired of their trying to make me feel guilty. And that's what I think about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment