Sunday, January 17, 2010

Haiti...still on my mind...almost continuously.

Still up in the air about my trip there on February 4. Probably not going to happen. It is unlikely that American Airlines will be taking commercials flights there and even if they did, we would land in the capital and have no way out to our friends. Thus we would be stuck in the capital, in the midst of the chaos and with no needed skills or talents to help in the recovery, thus becoming part of the problem. So I think we will have to delay our trip until...well, until sometime in the future, but I hope not too far into the future.

Along with others, I have been glued to the news from Haiti, watching the same news reports over and over, compulsively switching channels to see the latest breaking news.

Yesterday, I pulled myself away from the news channels to watch the Indianapolis Colts play football. I told myself I needed a break from the heartache of Haiti. And then there was guilt; guilt because I could turn aside for a time and enjoy some mindless entertainment while those in Haiti could not leave for one minute their current situation.

And so it goes on. And that's what I think about it.

No comments: