Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Strange! I'm sitting here wondering about how to celebrate New Year's Eve while friends in Ukraine are getting ready to celebrate Christmas and another friend in Afghanistan has just celebrated Eid.

Same way with Thanksgiving with our Canadian friends celebrating twice, once in their homeland of origin and again in their adopted country.

The old joke asks if the British have a July 4th. Of course they have one, there is just no celebration of any sort of freedom.

We don't celebrate the Queen's birthday like the Brits or Anaturk's birthday like the Turks.

On some calendars there are notices of celebrations. Hardly a day goes by that someone isn't celebrating something somewhere. National pickle month. Happy pipe fitters day. The year of the rat. I went to a college that celebrated a secret Wednesday, when no classes were held.

Human beings enjoy celebrations. Sometimes they themselves are celebrated. Birthdays, graduations and anniversaries for example. Sometimes we celebrate with others; other times alone. The older I get the more I celebrate the morning and the earlier I rise in order not to miss it. The more trips I take to Haiti the more I celebrate a shower with hot water. Every time I grocery shop I celebrate choices, abundance and resources.

Life is one big celebration. And that's what I think about it.

No comments: