Saturday, July 11, 2009

Today I received a phone call. A male voice who said he was from my past was on the other end of the line. He wanted me to guess who. As if!

When I stated that if he did not identify himself (notice my lack of sense of humor) I would be hanging up the phone he did identify himself.

After 36 years a friend from college was calling.

We reminisced about the 'old' days. I remember that he had the lowest (at that time it was the thing to do, lower the car in the back) Ford Fairlane ( those have not been made for years). He reminded me that I drove it more than he did. I reminded him that he put more gas in it than I did. When I drove it up to Happy Valley High School to student teach the kids would come out and watch me drive up. I was the envy of every student in that school.

For a half hour we caught up. He admitted to three failed marriages and the loneliness of living by himself.

I thought how very blessed my life has been and continues to be.

I felt the same way many years ago when I attended my high school 25 year reunion and the girl voted "Class Clown" showed up wearing a clown suit complete with red nose and oversize shoes. Twenty five years after her election to the post!

Here we have a couple of folks living in the past, remembering how good they had it 'way back when.' Most of us have it pretty good right now but still we remember 'the good old days.' Regrets plague us, poor choices made long ago continue to impact our lives.

It is a wonderfully freeing thing to put the past, well, in the past. It is today that matters and it is today that should be lived to its fullest.

Carpe Diem! And that's what I think about it.

No comments: