Thursday, May 21, 2009

Graduation week is upon us. Tuesday we sat through a three hour awards ceremony at the high school where close to two million dollars was awarded in scholarships to deserving young people.

When I think back at my own high school graduation I remember not thinking very deeply about the honors given. Some received them; most did not. But when I look at achievements of my class over the past several decades it is those students with high grade point averages, high moral character, commitment to volunteerism and community service and most with some faith base who have succeeded.

Sitting in the gym, on the bleachers (and they are even harder than I remember) for three hours listening to teachers, administrators, community leaders extol the virtues of this particular class of 2009 has restored my faith that things are not as bad as I read. We are indeed in good hands.

And that's what I think about it.

No comments: