Thursday, March 26, 2009
Nothing like a week of seminary classes to dispel any romantic ideas about ivy towers and lofty discussions. There are no ivy-covered towers in Lincoln, Illinois. However, there were lofty discussions this week; unfortunately I was an observer not a participant.
I caught maybe 60% of what was being discussed about culture, one area I thought I might, if not excel, at least have a moderate understanding which would allow me some entrance into discussion on a graduate level.
I read each of the four texts at least three times each, one five times just trying to grasp what the author was saying (See 2/8/09 blog and photo sitting with my 8-pound dictionary on my lap).
Two fourteen hour days and two 8-hour days have exhausted me.
I am clueless about what the subject for my final paper for this class will be.
I am wondering if I'm really cut out for this.
I am wondering where my rocking chair and front porch are that society tells me I should have been sitting in and on several years ago.
Ah, but there is a bright side. For a week I have been able to listen and absorb some great dialog between two gifted professors. I have made new friends who are so honest and transparent and yes, bright. And I have been staying in a hotel that was built right next to a Russell Stover candy outlet.
Life is looking a little brighter. Chocolate will do that to a person.
And that's what I think about it.
I caught maybe 60% of what was being discussed about culture, one area I thought I might, if not excel, at least have a moderate understanding which would allow me some entrance into discussion on a graduate level.
I read each of the four texts at least three times each, one five times just trying to grasp what the author was saying (See 2/8/09 blog and photo sitting with my 8-pound dictionary on my lap).
Two fourteen hour days and two 8-hour days have exhausted me.
I am clueless about what the subject for my final paper for this class will be.
I am wondering if I'm really cut out for this.
I am wondering where my rocking chair and front porch are that society tells me I should have been sitting in and on several years ago.
Ah, but there is a bright side. For a week I have been able to listen and absorb some great dialog between two gifted professors. I have made new friends who are so honest and transparent and yes, bright. And I have been staying in a hotel that was built right next to a Russell Stover candy outlet.
Life is looking a little brighter. Chocolate will do that to a person.
And that's what I think about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
you are an inspiration. God is doing, and will continue to do, great, enormous things through you!
Post a Comment