Wednesday, February 11, 2009
One perceives life through their own set of filters and biases. No thought is value free.
Oh my, I need to get back to real life and put these textbooks and their deep thoughts aside for a while.
This morning, some friends left for a week in Haiti. One the one hand I wanted to go with them. On the other hand...well, reread my blog post on flying.
There is a huge multipurpose building being erected on the beach front across the road from Sonlight Academy in Haiti. Pictures arrived this week showing huge cross beams being lowered into place. The men on the team that left this morning will help with building construction. The two women who are on the team will teach in the school and tutor.
Valentine parties will be put on for the students. Candy is a universal 'friend maker.' Sweets are not too common in Haiti and teams coming in from the states often have carry-on luggage full of candy to distribute. The children expect these treats and follow Americans down the street asking for hand outs. They are rarely disappointed.
In a couple of weeks, after this team returns, a second team will go in to Sonlight Academy. This team is headed by a dentist and three assistants.
Cause and effect? I think so.
And that's what I am thinking about.
Oh my, I need to get back to real life and put these textbooks and their deep thoughts aside for a while.
This morning, some friends left for a week in Haiti. One the one hand I wanted to go with them. On the other hand...well, reread my blog post on flying.
There is a huge multipurpose building being erected on the beach front across the road from Sonlight Academy in Haiti. Pictures arrived this week showing huge cross beams being lowered into place. The men on the team that left this morning will help with building construction. The two women who are on the team will teach in the school and tutor.
Valentine parties will be put on for the students. Candy is a universal 'friend maker.' Sweets are not too common in Haiti and teams coming in from the states often have carry-on luggage full of candy to distribute. The children expect these treats and follow Americans down the street asking for hand outs. They are rarely disappointed.
In a couple of weeks, after this team returns, a second team will go in to Sonlight Academy. This team is headed by a dentist and three assistants.
Cause and effect? I think so.
And that's what I am thinking about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment