Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Our Big Adventure
On the search for the perfect winter formal dress four of us, Taylor, her sister Brittany, Lola (their aunt) and I headed for Louisville, two hours away. I really did think we could get there before the winds from Ike reached us. Au contrare!
Two accidents we saw in Louisville. One car had been hit by a falling tree head-on on an eight-lane highway. The windshield was pushed into the back seat. The driver was probably going sixty. The tree was probably going that also. Another tree fell on the middle of the roof of another car nearly cutting the vehicle in half, again right on the Xpressway. I just hurried along to the shopping mall.
And in a half hour we had found the perfect dress. Which I would post here but then Taylor's friends may be able to see the dress before the dance which would never do.
We were hungry and happy and headed for The Cheesecake Factory, our mouths watering and our imaginations running wild about what we would order there and what kind of cheesecake we would have at the end of our meal. We held on to each other in the wind as we made our way across the parking lot to the restaurant.
The restaurant was dark. And it was closed. The servers were still there but the power was out so they could not serve guests. Major disappointment from which we rebounded to try Logan's Steakhouse; same deal, no power. Then Wendy's, McDonald's, the Kroger store was closed and the gas stations...and we were really hungry.
What could we do? Louisville was without power, so we headed back to southern Indiana and thanks to the GPS found a fine restaurant open and with power an hour from the city.
But we found the perfect dress (which I dare not even describe to you).
It was dangerous to be out driving, debris flying around, wind gusts shoving cars out of their lanes but we had no incident befall us.
Oh yes, perhaps this one more thing. When Lola returned to her home, the neighbor's tree had fallen over the fence onto her garage and her house. The garage is a total loss, but the good thing is, if the garage had not been there and taken the brunt of the force, the house would be missing two rooms. This morning a 40-ton crane showed up to lift the tree from the garage and house.
That's what I'm thinking about.
Two accidents we saw in Louisville. One car had been hit by a falling tree head-on on an eight-lane highway. The windshield was pushed into the back seat. The driver was probably going sixty. The tree was probably going that also. Another tree fell on the middle of the roof of another car nearly cutting the vehicle in half, again right on the Xpressway. I just hurried along to the shopping mall.
And in a half hour we had found the perfect dress. Which I would post here but then Taylor's friends may be able to see the dress before the dance which would never do.
We were hungry and happy and headed for The Cheesecake Factory, our mouths watering and our imaginations running wild about what we would order there and what kind of cheesecake we would have at the end of our meal. We held on to each other in the wind as we made our way across the parking lot to the restaurant.
The restaurant was dark. And it was closed. The servers were still there but the power was out so they could not serve guests. Major disappointment from which we rebounded to try Logan's Steakhouse; same deal, no power. Then Wendy's, McDonald's, the Kroger store was closed and the gas stations...and we were really hungry.
What could we do? Louisville was without power, so we headed back to southern Indiana and thanks to the GPS found a fine restaurant open and with power an hour from the city.
But we found the perfect dress (which I dare not even describe to you).
It was dangerous to be out driving, debris flying around, wind gusts shoving cars out of their lanes but we had no incident befall us.
Oh yes, perhaps this one more thing. When Lola returned to her home, the neighbor's tree had fallen over the fence onto her garage and her house. The garage is a total loss, but the good thing is, if the garage had not been there and taken the brunt of the force, the house would be missing two rooms. This morning a 40-ton crane showed up to lift the tree from the garage and house.
That's what I'm thinking about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I have a friend who had been in Nashville, TN returning to Columbus,OH going through Louisville and I believe she saw the same trees, same accident, etc. I'm thankful you all made it home safely. I suppose in the total scheme of things Lola can see the "blessing" of losing the garage
Yes, it was a 'lucky' hit, Lola's garage. Louisville was a place to avoid last Sunday (we should have stayed home and gone to church :o)
but we found the perfect winter formal dress...so all things being equal...oh, did I mention the car has a few new dings on the doors from the parking lots in Kentucky?
oh my - all in the name of the "perfect" dress!! :-)
Post a Comment