Friday, July 12, 2013

"If you find yourself a widow..."

At a national convention this week, I ran into a class mate from the seminary from which we had both recently graduated.

He was with a friend, his best friend from childhood.

Mike, the friend, is a minister, and single. I had never met him thus the requisite introductions to my husband who was with me.

Singleness became the subject of our conversation after the talk of graduation and post-grad possibilities had run its course. The four of us stood around laughing uproariously at Mike's trials during his life at attempting to find himself a wife.

I mentioned that I had an unmarried daughter which peaked his interest. His energy toward this conversation led me to ask how old he was. Too young for my daughter I said. Maybe not, he countered, he was fast running out of possibilities in his own age bracket.

This kind of back and forth went on with peals of laughter all around and my wondering what's wrong with him that this seemingly delightful young man couldn't find a spouse.

As they were leaving and the echo of their laughter was fading away he turned around and gestured to me, remarking, "If you ever find yourself a widow, give me a call."

We all doubled over in laughter...well, three of us did. My husband, standing next to me, failed to find humor in his remark and shouted back, "I'm feeling good right now."



No comments: