Friday, March 16, 2012

Not in My Backyard

I was reading a book on the porch yesterday. Had to get the folding soccer chair out since the porch furniture is still under tarp. Warm breeze, birds singing, can of soda, all the trappings of a lady of leisure. The only thing that marred that idyllic scene was the noise level from down the street and around the corner.

Geese - and plenty of them. Domestic geese, the kind that you buy when they are cute little peeps and nurture into adulthood and then, well I don't know, eat them, I guess. Until the eating part occurs the geese grow larger and louder.

Clipped so they can't fly away they are at a disadvantage, as are the neighbors. Geese groups go wandering through the yards leaving droppings that should, at some point, encourage grass growth but until then, become slimy pitfalls as one tip-toes ones' way through ones' own back yards.

I do not know much about livestock, but of this I am assured. Six home-owners on this street have googled "Goose recipes" on the Internet and have the oven pre-heating for the time that one of these little critters gets a little too close to the back door. Roasted, stewed, or broiled, I see a block party in our future.

And that's what I think about it.

No comments: