Monday, June 13, 2011

Book sale at a local library; two hardbacks for a dollar, four paperbacks.

Once a year the library culls its collection and offers the results to the public. This is my third year to attend.

In preparation for this day, my personal bookshelves have also been culled, the beneficiary being Good Will.

Treasures abound at a book sale for those who are patient. I showed up at 8:45 AM for the 9 AM sale. I got in line behind the boundary tape with 300 other early shoppers. Paper bags with handles were handed out by personnel as every shopper waited patiently for the sale to begin. There was no pushing or shoving; some had brought wheeled carts into which to store their selections, others carried sturdy shopping bags as did I.

My first trip resulted in the purchase of ten books, a meager bounty to be sure.

After returning home, my husband asked if I wanted to go back and we did. Most of the early shoppers had left, unfortunately with much of the stock, but it was no problem to get up close to the rows and rows of remaining books.

All in all two hours were spent picking out cheap books. My selections included multiple selections by: Susan Howatch, McKinley Cantor, Chaim Potok, Elia Kazan and some single books by Grisham and Peretsky, Bonhoeffer, Chesterton, St. Teresa and W. Somerset Maugham. You can probably tell that some of these are authors I should have read in high school, and may have, but I'm revisiting their offerings hopefully with a more mature attitude, and without the CliffNotes.

And that's what I think about it.

No comments: