Saturday, October 2, 2010
Somehow I lost a season. I mean to say, this week when I retrieved the Fall decorations from the garage where my husband had carefully put them in big plastic bins, one for each season, and removed the seasonal decorations which were in the house, I realized I had skipped a season.
As I looked at the I pastel sit-arounds in the living areas, I realized that they were Spring things: hyacinth wreaths, colorful stripped table runner, dishes of pears, ceramic bunnies hopping down the length of the mantel.
What, I pondered, had happened to summer? And the summer home decor. Was I too busy to switch out the seasons? Perhaps not expecting visitors I simply left what was there alone.
Anyway, today the oranges and rusts of Fall are dotting the house. The mantel is ablaze with pumpkins and leaves. A huge pumpkin sits in the middle of the coffee table filled with greenery and apples. More pumpkin arrangements adorn the library table, breakfront and hutch. A garland of colorful leaves runs along the edge of the TV cabinet.
Halloween towels hang from the door of the oven and harvest hand towels welcome visitors to dry their hands in the bathroom.
In reality the things I have described are not new. Purchased through the years for our homes in Ohio I have loved finding new places for them to be seen here in Indiana.
Still, I wonder, what happened to summer?
And that's what I think about it.
Welcome Fall.
As I looked at the I pastel sit-arounds in the living areas, I realized that they were Spring things: hyacinth wreaths, colorful stripped table runner, dishes of pears, ceramic bunnies hopping down the length of the mantel.
What, I pondered, had happened to summer? And the summer home decor. Was I too busy to switch out the seasons? Perhaps not expecting visitors I simply left what was there alone.
Anyway, today the oranges and rusts of Fall are dotting the house. The mantel is ablaze with pumpkins and leaves. A huge pumpkin sits in the middle of the coffee table filled with greenery and apples. More pumpkin arrangements adorn the library table, breakfront and hutch. A garland of colorful leaves runs along the edge of the TV cabinet.
Halloween towels hang from the door of the oven and harvest hand towels welcome visitors to dry their hands in the bathroom.
In reality the things I have described are not new. Purchased through the years for our homes in Ohio I have loved finding new places for them to be seen here in Indiana.
Still, I wonder, what happened to summer?
And that's what I think about it.
Welcome Fall.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment