Saturday, April 3, 2010

Spurred on by a daughter, an insurance company and my knees, I purchased a pedometer, those little clip-on devices that measure the number of steps one takes. The first morning I put it on my pajamas before I got out of bed and by the time I got to the bathroom I had walked seven steps and burned four calories.

The second day I did the same, forgot my glasses, walked back to get them and had 15 steps recorded and 10 calories.

I asked my husband if he had tried his. He said his wasn't working right. He'd worn it around the day before but somehow it hadn't measured all the steps he was sure he had taken. Hmmmm. Wisely I kept quiet.

So today we went down to the local YMCA to ask about membership. We already had a gym membership at a popular local 24-hour fitness center. I think we last used that membership, which we were paying premium bucks for, four months ago. Our membership at the YMCA (one of the choices) is a 'free' benefit of our insurance coverage. The price is exactly what my husband was hoping for so he canceled the other dusty membership.

But back to the pedometer. I discovered a dangerous and tempting feature of this little clip-on piece of equipment. If I hold it in my hand and wave it back and forth it registers steps.

I leave it to my reader to imagine how I will use this bit of information.

And that's what I think about it.

No comments: