Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Today I read that a nice couple with eight children are divorcing. Except for the number of children this happens every day.

And except for the fact that for a while this couple has been the stars of a reality TV show chronicling their lives.

I have never watched this show but I have been reading on the news that their fans are heartbroken and taping of the show has been temporarily suspended.

This is one of several 'reality' shows that have increased station ratings. The Bachelor may have been the first, then Survivor, Big House, Fear Factor and others. Viewing takes on a voyeurism that I am not sure is healthy. In fact, I do not think these shows have much redeeming value. Perhaps though they give us insight into how others live...and yet, in reality they give us insight into how one tiny group of people live. This is not reality for most of us.

The Kardasians, wife swap, Whose Wedding is it Anyway? are other examples of my ability to live through the life experiences of someone else. The good news for many people is that living vicariously through their new 'friends' they do not have to live their own lives or deal with their own reality. Being so involved with 'tube' personalities also limits or prohibits the development of real face to face, flesh and blood relationships.

Perhaps it is escapism, like I indulge in when I pick up a novel. But week after week, water cooler chat after water cooler chat, it takes on a life of its own. And that life is not living. Manufactured around a conference table with story boards and advertisers it is reality TV aimed at getting me to buy products and raise ratings. I can see through that reality.

And that's what I think about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well spoken and amen!