Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Measure of Success

John Foster Dulles said, "The measure of success is not whether you have a tough problem to deal with, but whether it is the same problem you had last year."

Let's see. Last August I was going through the hassle of applying for graduate school. Not a problem this August.

Last August I was agonizing over taking an over-seas trip. Not a problem this August.

Last August I was trying to get in shape.....wait, wait, now I'm meddling.

The message is, if it's a problem it needs to be addressed. Make a decision. Find a good friend to run some options by. Say yes and jump in or say no with confidence. Although I have heard of some problems just simply going away on their own, many just stick around festering and taking up room in the back of our minds. Those are the ones that wake us up at 3 AM or create tight shoulders or headaches. They pop up unbidden at odd times.

Mostly these concerns take up valuable energy and let's face it, we have a finite amount of that and less as we age.

Anyway, that's what I think about it.

No comments: