Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Life in Rural Indiana
Ran into a friend this morning. "Guess where I went last night?" she queried. Knowing I would never come up with the correct answer she went on, "To the fair grounds to watch pig wrestling."
I looked at her, but well, there's just no proper response to that.
She had been begged by another friend to go watch the friend's grand daughter wrestle a pig. Apparently this is a big To-D0 at the 4-H center.
Four people, in this case, four adult women, all of whom work together in a down town office, were in a pen about ten feet across. In the middle of the dirt ring was some sort of pedestal with a bucket of water on it. The idea is for the four contestants to pick up the pig and place him, or her, on the pedestal anyway they can.
They have a minute and a half. Many minute and a half matches went on for two and a half hours before the grand daughter took to the ring.
And oh, for adults they don't use those cute little pink piglet-sized animals. The adults wrestle full size hogs, three hundred pounds or so.
As my mind tried to get an image of how this activity might play itself out I could not help but wonder again at the cultural differences between where I am and where I was.
That's what I'm thinking about today.
I looked at her, but well, there's just no proper response to that.
She had been begged by another friend to go watch the friend's grand daughter wrestle a pig. Apparently this is a big To-D0 at the 4-H center.
Four people, in this case, four adult women, all of whom work together in a down town office, were in a pen about ten feet across. In the middle of the dirt ring was some sort of pedestal with a bucket of water on it. The idea is for the four contestants to pick up the pig and place him, or her, on the pedestal anyway they can.
They have a minute and a half. Many minute and a half matches went on for two and a half hours before the grand daughter took to the ring.
And oh, for adults they don't use those cute little pink piglet-sized animals. The adults wrestle full size hogs, three hundred pounds or so.
As my mind tried to get an image of how this activity might play itself out I could not help but wonder again at the cultural differences between where I am and where I was.
That's what I'm thinking about today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment