Thursday, June 5, 2008

Raccoons and Mourning Doves

As I sit here typing the area is under a tornado watch. There seems to be a lot of weather in southern Indiana.

Although we were lured here with the idea of milder weather, three weeks after move in 19 inches of snow was on the ground. That is a lot of snow regardless of your perspective. I wonder now why we had never questioned the purchase of a 4-wheel drive vehicle by our son-in-law.

Then a year later there was a deadly tornado.

A few months ago we lost roof shingles in a high wind and had that damage repaired just in time for the rain.

Every spring the floods come. Often we will need to find alternate roads to get to our home as water covers the roads and fields. We can look out over the flood plain and see pick-up trucks in ditches where drivers were certain they could make it through the water.

Once in the middle of the night an awful rattle shook the walls. I woke up and, having lived in southern California, said, “Earthquake” rolled over and went back to sleep. Not so my husband who has not had the experience of living places other than Barberton, OH. He knew what had happened also. A raccoon, hungry and after a mourning dove, had climbed up the corner tree, jumped to the roof of the house, landing on the dove where a raucous fight for survival had taken place. As they slid off the roof scratching and clawing to stay upright they had hit the metal soffits and had rattled the house before falling to the ground. Dressed, with flashlight in hand, he walked around the outside of the house looking for carcasses. Imaginative if a bit far-fetched.

Today the temperature is pushing 90. Humidity is high.

There is a lot of weather and there seems to be more drama with it here than where we were.

Sky is looking a little green-gray, that ugly here-comes-a-storm color. Better unplug my computer and get to the basem…..oh yeah, we don’t have one.

So that’s what I’m thinking today.

1 comment:

Jan Clayton said...

I can't begin to say how much I enjoy reading these blogs. We will probably talk more now than we did when I lived in Evansville! Keep them coming.

Jan