Tuesday, May 27, 2008

My very own blog! Who would have thought? Who will read this? Does it matter? After sixty years and more, maybe a blog serves as my journal of successes and failures that might just help someone through a rough spot. Perhaps some insight will strike a chord, not of dissonance but of harmony.

But let me begin.

This morning on radio I heard a popular author and preacher say, “If there is discord, someone is being selfish.” Not disagreement, which would be a healthy way of getting a good plan in place, but discord, the absence of harmony. But, “couldn’t just one person create discord in the life of another?” I mused. “No,” I argued, “not unless the other person permitted it. Well, what about arguments where both parties accuse the other of being selfish? Surely that could be true, couldn’t it?” I pondered.

Then I think I hit on something that was helpful…to me at least. Discord occurs when one’s attitude changes toward that person who has a different opinion; when we no longer view that person with value. We label them a trouble maker, ignorant, shallow, narrow. And those are the nice words we might use with a third party, not the words that lie close to the surface and right on the tip of the tongue. Those words that only our ‘stellar’ reputation prevents us from mouthing.

I think sometimes God just sits and laughs when he considers who we think we are.

Sometimes I laugh with him.

6 comments:

Jan Clayton said...

Patricia,

It is my honor to receive these missives from you. I will very much enjoy reading these and pondering these thoughts along with you. Thanks for writing and making me still feel a part of my family there in Evansville.

Love,
Jan

Jan Clayton said...

It is a pleasure to be receiving your blog. I have long thought you have oodles of wisdom to share and am happy you have found a forum. These missives will be cherished by me as well as many others. I read it to Carl tonight as we were laying in bed in the Residence (way too tiny) Inn. Don't get me wrong I love the free breakfast and maid service, but it does get a little claustrophobic at times. Once we are settled in we would love for you and Jim to come stay with us anytime you are in Indy.

Love,
Jan

Kathy said...

Dearest Patricia,

You are an amazing woman. It doesn't surprise me at all that you now have a blog. What surprises me is that it took you so long to do so!

You have a beautiful writing style and I will look forward to each entry.

Kathy

Jody said...

Patricia - thanks for inviting me! You challenge me in ways that stretch me to grow and I love that! Ok, not always. Sometimes it's kind of like medicine but I trust that it's good for me! :-)

Like... delving into my inner thoughts and admitting that I've used the "narrow", "inexperienced" & well..., I'll stop there your list was good but not comprehensive, if you know what I mean.

Laurie said...

I love you, mom. You are an amazing woman and I am glad that you are using one of your many talents to reach so many:) I sure wish I were as eloquent as Jan. Just read her comments again and ditto for me.

Your eldest (and older by the day)

Laurie (lest you've forgotten:)

Lisa Smiles said...

What a joy to read your comments. My favorite part is how I can hear your voice as I read your words. Your gentle laughter and your tender heart make me so happy to have you as a friend. Keep on my dear, I look forward to "hearing" more.

Love,
Lisa